Sunday 11 January 2015

Health | Body Shaming


Katie Hopkins has shocked the nation once again (actually, does she really shock anyone anymore?) with her most recent statement that "anybody above a UK size 10 is fat." Okay, we know she's outrageous, we know she will do absolutely anything to stay in the limelight and we shouldn't give her the attention she so craves, but she struck a nerve and it really got me thinking. 

Body shaming has become a real issue! Why are we so obsessed with other people's appearance? It really is such a disappointment that girls are hating on each other so much and it is something we need to improve on (myself included, I'm not an angel). What ever happened to girl power? Meghan Trainor's All About The Bass (catchy as it is) may sound like she's embracing her curves, as she should, when in actual fact she is skinny shaming (go ahead and tell them skinny bitches). Yes you're curvy, yes that's okay, you have every right to be confident in yourself, but you shouldn't need to put slim people down in order to make yourself feel better. 

I used to be a UK size 6 before I met Pete and I loved food, I was just blessed with a naturally fast metabolism. I always used to see posts like these:

 

and to tell the truth, it pissed me off. I always believed it was written by an unhappy fat person trying to make themselves feel better, but why should it be at someone else's expense? I did hate my boyish figure and I longed to put weight on, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. So you can see why these quotes got to me so much.

 It wasn't until I hit 21 that my body slowed down and I couldn't eat like I used to. I was against buying size 10 and even 12 clothes at first, because I couldn't accept that I was now that size and I realise now how ridiculous I was. I'm now a health size 10/12 and although I do want to drop a few pounds, I now look much better than I used to. 

You see when you post these stupid quotes, you are making people feel bad, whether you realise it or not. Embrace your body, no matter what size you are. It's 2015 and we need to be more accepting of one another. Body shaming needs to stop! 


Rachael xo






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig