Friday 23 January 2015

Good Reads



I have always had a love of books, ever since I can remember and I think that stems from the fact my mum used to read to me every night before bed. One of my earliest memories is when I was 4 or 5, I sat on the floor of the reception class room in Cole Street Primary School and read The Gingerbread Man out loud to myself. The whole book. My teacher was so impressed, she sent me to my would be teacher when I reached year 1 with a note to tell her, and I was given a sweet. Isn't memory a funny thing? 

As we grow older it is easy to forget the things we love, life gets in the way of things. I know in the past year or two I haven't read as much as I would have liked to. I think that's because there hasn't been a particular book I have wanted to read and I cannot say I've made the effort to go and find something new. I miss that.

When I was in college, I used to get the bus to an outlet village just to visit the book shop there (I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. It's closed down now and I think it's a Next instead. If you know what it's called, please let me know in the comment below!) The book shop was huge and I would spend hours wandering each aisle, reading the blurb of ten books before I decided on what I wanted to buy. It was then that I bought Twilight and fell in love with the book (I know, the books are actually really good), I must have read it in the space of a week when I went on to buy New Moon.

Another trip to this book shop resulted in me buying City of Bones by Cassandra Clare to which my friend said "another book about werewolves and vampires?!" My emo, teenage self was very much into books about vampires (you can blame Darren Shan for that one!) It was nothing like Twilight at all, I was sucked into a world of Shadow Hunters, warlocks, weapons and demons. If there's one thing I love in a book it's a good series to get stuck into and the Mortal Instrument is fabulous. In June last year, I went to meet an author and ended up buying four different books, I read the Zom-B books by Darren Shan, but neglected my Mortal Instruments series.

Last week, in one of my temper tantrums (seriously, Disney basically stole my personality and look and called her Merida), I went upstairs to our bedroom and decided to read. Nineteen days into 2015 and I am onto my second book already (okay the Darren Shan books aren't that long). Each night before I go to bed, I've been spending between thirty minutes and an hour just reading. It is by far the best way to wind down after a busy day of mum duties and I remembered just how much I love reading. I am all for me time and once George goes to bed for the night, it's just all about getting lost in a good story. 

I am also hoping that reading more books and indulging in one of my favourite past times it's going to improve my writing skills, another love of mine which has definitely been neglected (you can probably tell by reading previous blog posts that I can be a lazy writer).

If you have any recommendations for a good book, let me know in the comments below!

Rachael xo



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig